Total E&P USA, INC (“TEP USA”) strives to meet diverse industry challenges that include both conventional and unconventional oil and gas onshore and offshore operations by:

  • Collaborating with operators; bringing to the table our innovative, state-of-the-art technologies and experience to maximize production, revenues and profitability
  • Managing with the corporate values of the Total Group as defined in the Group Code of Conduct, including a commitment to health, safety and the environment
  • Continuously developing knowledge and skills to sustain a competitive advantage

Active in Exploration and Production in the United States since 1957, TEP USA currently has a diverse portfolio of non-operated assets, ranging from deep offshore oil production and exploration in the Gulf of Mexico to onshore unconventional shale gas development (wet and dry gas).

Onshore – Unconventional Resources

Onshore, TEP USA’s focus is on the unconventional resources.  In 2009, TEP USA acquired 25% of Chesapeake’s interest in the Barnett shale play, located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Texas.  In 2011, TEP USA acquired 25% of Chesapeake’s interest in the Utica shale play, located in Eastern Ohio.  Through these transactions, TEP USA has developed expertise in unconventional hydrocarbons in order to aid the Total Group in extending its unconventional business worldwide. 

Offshore

Offshore, TEP USA’s focus is on the deepwater exploration and development. 

Deepwater Exploration

In 2009, TEP USA entered into an agreement with Cobalt, forming the basis of a strategic alliance for deepwater exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Building on complementary competencies to successfully explore and develop a combined portfolio, this alliance provides access to large number of prospects, mainly sub–salt, similar in nature to major discoveries in this area.  Today, TEP USA owns over 250 explo blocks in the Gulf of Mexico.

Deepwater Development

TEP USA owns a 17% working interest in the Tahiti field.  Chevron is the operator with a 58% interest.  The remaining 25% is owned by Statoil.  The Tahiti field was discovered in 2002 and consists of five blocks in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico:  Green Canyon 596, 597, 640, 641 and 684.

TEP USA owns a 33.33% working interest in the Chinook field.  Petrobras is the operator and owns the remaining 66.67%.  Chinook was discovered in 2003 and consists of four blocks in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico:  Walker Ridge 425, 426, 469 and 470.

TEP USA owns a 40% working interest in the North Platte discovery.  Cobalt is the operator and owns the remaining 60%.  North Platte was discovered by the Cobalt-TEP USA alliance in 2012.  It is currently in the appraisal stage.

Total E&P Research and Technology USA, LLC

In our Houston-based upstream research center, Total E&P Research and Technology USA, LLC. ("TEP R&T"), we apply innovative, state of the art technologies and superior skills to develop enabling and break-through technology, technical tools and quantitative techniques.

Established in 2008, TEP R&T is at the cutting edge of strategically important research areas.

Our activities are accelerated through proprietary research; joint industry, government and university sponsored programs; and building strategic alliances with corporate partners and other research centers. Our strategic goals are met through key research areas which include:

  • Earth Imaging: Quantitative Seismic Imaging, Innovative Acquisition
  • Numerical Methods and High Performance Computing
  • Field Reservoir: Chemical EOR and Simulation
  • Environmental and Societal Initiatives
  • Unconventional Resources
  • Nanotechnologies
  • Deep Offshore
  • Wells

Further to TOTAL E&P Research & Technology USA, LLC, TEP USA owns two additional subsidiaries: TOTAL E&P USA Oil Shale, LLC, which holds interests (equity and assets) in both in-situ and ex-situ oil shale projects; and TOTAL E&P New Ventures, Inc., which focuses on business outside of the United States.  Read on for additional details of our two largest groups.